Sunday, March 3, 2013

Drunken Pork Steaks

I got an awesome deal on pork steaks when I did my monthly shopping that I could not pass up.  Instead I decided to switch all my pork chop dinner to pork steak dinners.  I don't think anyone will mind.  I was super excited when I found this recipe and couldn't wait to give it a try.  It is one of those fix it and forget meals which is always fabulous and it only requires 4 ingredients.  Have I sold you yet?!?  Well, if not just take a look at the meaty goodness below!














Looks delicious, doesn't it?!?  Served with some cheddar mashed potatoes and steamed mixed veggies and you have a super easy meal.  Now on to the good stuff!

Drunken Pork Steaks adapted from Siggy Spice
4 pork steaks (or 4-6 pork chops if you prefer)
12 oz beer (whatever you have will work all I had was Budweiser and it worked great!)
1/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
seasoned salt and pepper to taste
1 TBS cornstarch
2 TBS cold water

  • Rinse pork, pat dry, and season with the seasoned salt and pepper
  • Coat the bottom of the pan with some olive oil and heat over medium-high heat
  • When the oil shimmers brown the pork on both sides, about 5 minutes on each side
  • Remove and set aside
  • In a small bowl whisk together sugar, ketchup, and beer
  • Pour into the hot skillet and scrape up the browned bits
  • Add the pork back to the skillet, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer
  • Simmer for about 30-45 minutes, or until tender and cooked through
  • Meanwhile mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl
  • When pork is done remove and set aside
  • Slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the boiling sauce and cook until thickened and bubbly
  • Remove from heat, place the pork back in the sauce, and turn to coat
Super easy and the sauce is incredible!  Definitely give this a try.  I am not a beer drinker...actually no one in my house is and we all enjoyed it! 

Below is the nutritional value per serving. This recipe yields 4 servings.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 247 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
396
Calories from Fat 
192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
21.3g
33%
Saturated Fat 
7.1g
36%
Cholesterol 
71mg
24%
Sodium 
936mg
39%
Total Carbohydrates 
27.8g
9%
Sugars 
22.1g
Protein 
18.0g
Vitamin A 4%Vitamin C 5%
Calcium 2%Iron 8%
Nutrition Grade F
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Bad points
  • High in sugar
  • Contains alcohol

2 comments:

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!