Saturday, March 9, 2013

One Pot Chicken and Rice

We love chicken and rice.  There are so many ways to make it and it is so versatile.  I was browsing online for different recipes because well it relaxes me and I love to find different recipes to build on.  My browsing led me to this wonderful base recipe from Martha Stewart.  I definitely knew I wanted to give it a try.  For one it is made in a single pot.  Those types of meals always please me since I despise doing dishes.  Plus it is always nice to have everything getting along in one pot without having to worry about side dishes ;)

It does take quite a while to cook because it uses brown rice and bone-in chicken.  So even though it is a convenient meal it isn't a quick one.  I am sure you could speed it up by using boneless chicken and white rice, but I used what I had and we loved it!

















One Pot Chicken and Rice source Martha Stewart
4 bone-in and skin on chicken thighs
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
2 TBS olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
3 medium stalks of celery, cut into 1/2 in pieces
4 carrots cut into large chunks
1 TBS minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cups water (or chicken broth then omit bouillon)

  • Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat
  • Season chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
  • When the oil shimmers brown the chicken on each side, about 5-7 minutes on each side
  • Set chicken aside
  • Add onion, carrots, and celery to the pot 
  • Season with salt and pepper
  • Saute for about 7-10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften
  • Add garlic and cook for an additional minute or two
  • Add remaining ingredients and give a quick stir
  • Add chicken back to the pot
  • Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 45-60 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through
  • Remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes
This is a great alternative to other chicken and rice dishes.  It is easy and there is virtually no mess.  It goes great with some homemade dinner rolls.  A perfect comfort meal for me!

Below is the nutritional value per serving.  This recipe yields approximately 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 293 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
525
Calories from Fat 
232
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
25.8g
40%
Saturated Fat 
6.4g
32%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
96mg
32%
Sodium 
752mg
31%
Total Carbohydrates 
47.5g
16%
Dietary Fiber 
4.6g
18%
Sugars 
5.0g
Protein 
25.3g
Vitamin A 212%Vitamin C 17%
Calcium 9%Iron 16%
Nutrition Grade B-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!