Sunday, August 26, 2012

Swedish Meatballs

My little man is turning 4 on Wednesday.  Since his daddy is working we are celebrating early.  Everyone always gets their favorite dinner for their birthday meal.  My son basically only eats three things...1) meatballs 2) hot dogs and 3) chicken nuggets.  So after much thought I decided to make a recipe I found at White Lights on Wednesdays for Swedish Meatballs.

You could definitely make your own meatballs or use her recipe, but I decided to use frozen meatballs that I had in the freezer.  I know they aren't the healthiest option, but I had them and they needed to be used anyway :)



Swedish Meatballs Adapted from White Lights on Wednesdays
16 oz Frozen Meatballs
1 Onion, diced
2 TBS Butter
2 cups low sodium beef broth
2 TBS butter
3 TBS wheat flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 TBS parsley flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

  • Melt 2 TBS butter over medium-high heat
  • Add onions and saute for 5-10 minutes or until tender and translucent
  • Add meatballs and cook over medium heat until heated through, about 10-15 minutes, set meatballs and onions aside in a serving dish
  • Add beef broth to skillet and simmer for 5 minutes while scraping up all the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan
  • Meanwhile in a medium sauce pan melt 2 TBS butter over medium heat
  • Add flour while stirring constantly and cook for 1 minute
  • Add beef broth to saucepan while stirring constantly
  • When slightly thickened (about 3-5 minutes) add heavy cream and seasonings whisk to combine and remove from heat
  • Combine the gravy with the meatballs and serve over hot buttered noodles or mashed potatoes
This is always a hit in our house.  How can you go wrong with meatballs and noodles?  Two favorites and I am happy my baby enjoyed his special birthday dinner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!