Saturday, December 22, 2012

French Bread Rolls

Since everyone is battling this lovely chest cold that is going around I decided to take away one of the take out/leftover nights on the meal plan and make some soup.  We haven't done any Christmas baking this year because of illness so I have lots of flour and what goes better with soup than a nice french bread with soft chewy center???  So I decided to make these lovely French Bread Rolls that I found over at What Megan's Making.

I am not much of a bread maker.  I really don't have the patience for all that kneading and rising, but these seemed simple enough so I gave them a go.  Boy, am I happy I did too!  They are incredible.  They are the perfect addition to any dinner table.  The texture is perfect and that says a lot from me because I am super picky on bread texture.



French Bread Rolls Source What Megan's Making
1 1/2 cups warm water (about 100 degrees so just warmer than body temp)
1 TBS active dry yeast
2 TBS sugar
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
4 cups all purpose flour

  • In a small bowl combine warm water, yeast, and sugar
  • Let sit for about 5 minutes or until foamy and bubbly
  • In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of flour and 1 tsp salt
  • After the yeast mixture is ready add that to the large mixing bowl along with 2 TBS vegetable oil
  • Begin mixing and add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough begins to pull away from sides of the bowl and the a smooth, soft dough develops (it will still be slightly sticky)
  • Knead dough by hand until the dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes
  • Lightly oil a large bowl and roll the dough in the bowl to oil all sides
  • Cover with a towel and set in a warm place to rise 1-2 hours or until doubled in size (I preheat my oven to the lowest setting then turn it off and open the door slightly while I knead the dough and then place my covered bowl in the oven)
  • Once the dough has doubled, lightly punch it down, and separate into 12 equal dough balls
  • Place rolls on a lightly greased cookie sheet and loosely cover with plastic wrap (no need to push down on the wrap or seal the edges, just cover it)
  • Allow the rolls to rise for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size
  • When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap, and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown 
It takes some time, but seriously this is an easy fool proof dinner roll.  If I can make it anyone can.  Super easy and there is nothing like the smell of fresh bread baking :) 

Below is the nutritional value per roll.  This recipe yields 12 rolls.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 48 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
183
Calories from Fat 
25
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
2.7g
4%
Saturated Fat 
0.5g
3%
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
195mg
8%
Total Carbohydrates 
34.3g
11%
Dietary Fiber 
1.3g
5%
Sugars 
2.2g
Protein 
4.7g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 1%Iron 12%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points

1 comment:

  1. A superb recipe! Kids absolutely adore it and since it is baked, I don't hesitate either! Really superb! thanks.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!