Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies
3/4 Cup Butter, Softened
1 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
1/4 Cup Molasses
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Cloves
1 tsp Ground Ginger
Granulated Sugar (to roll cookies in)
- In a medium bowl mix together the softened butter, brown sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in molasses.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger.
- Mix flour mixture into molasses mixture about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While oven is preheating roll dough into walnut sized balls and then roll them in sugar.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 7-10 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are cracked. You have to really watch these cookies because you want them chewy and if you bake them too long they will be hard. Once they start cracking they are done.
- Cool on wire racks.