After last month's Surprise Recipe Swap I was so excited for this month. I couldn't wait for my partner assignment so I could get started on my new found treasures! This month I was assigned to Amy's Cooking Adventures, which is an amazing blog with tons of different recipes. Ranging from breads and sweets to sandwiches and entrees. Definitely stop on over and browse! You won't be disappointed!
When I saw this recipe for Italian Cheese Bread I knew exactly what I was going to make! We are bread freaks in this house and I am trying very hard to become a better baker without so many shortcuts. I have had some mishaps, but I am definitely getting better :) This recipe is really easy and is pretty much a no fail recipe. You could definitely use store bought pizza dough if you prefer, but I do suggest trying the no fail pizza dough recipe I have been using.
First, I will show you my recipe for pizza dough. If you want a healthier option using whole wheat flour check out this recipe from Amy's Cooking Adventures.
Pizza Dough (this recipe makes two 12-inch pizza dough)
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 TBS sugar
2 tsp salt
2 TBS olive oil
2 1/2 - 3 cups all purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water until foamy, 5-10 minutes
- Add salt, olive oil, and 1-1/2 cups of flour
- Mix until incorporated
- Continue adding flour 1/2 cup at a time until fully combined, depending on humidity you may need to add another 1/2 cup to total 3 cups (the dough should be tacky but shouldn't stick to you when you touch it)
- On a lightly floured surface knead dough until the it is smooth and elastic, about 5-8 minutes (add flour 1 TBS at a time to prevent sticking)
- Place in a oiled bowl and toss to coat then let rise for 1-2 hours or until doubled
- When doubled punch down and prepare as needed or you may wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 24 hours or freeze for later use
Now that you have the dough ready you can start with the ooey, gooey, cheesy, goodness! Delicious!
|These are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!|
|Another view to show all the cheesy, herb goodness|
Italian Cheese Bread adapted from Amy's Cooking Adventures
1 pizza dough
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 1/2 cups mozzarella
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2-3 TBS cornmeal
2-3 TBS cornmeal
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal
- Roll out crust and place on a baking sheet
- Bake for 5 minutes or until crust is beginning to brown (if crust bubbles up just poke a few holes and it should lay flat again)
- Remove crust from oven and set oven to broil
- In a small bowl mix butter, garlic salt, and italian seasoning
- Brush the butter mixture onto the crust, reserve about 2 TBS for after it is baked
- Top with cheeses and broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is deeply browned
- Brush the top with the remaining butter, slice, and serve
That is pretty easy! Especially if you make your dough ahead of time. And really who could resist these delicious cheese sticks?!? We served ours with spaghetti and we didn't have any left over! They are perfect for dipping or even alone. YUM!
If you want to join in on the fun and meet some really cool foodie bloggers then come join us for the Surprise Recipe Swap. Just click the button below, fill out your information, and submit the form! We would love to have you join :)
Below is the nutritional value per bread stick. This recipe yields approximately 12 cheese sticks.