You can make this with just about any rice mix. I have used various ones ranging from Zatarain's to store brand. I have used different flavored mixes as well such as dirty rice and jambalaya mix. I think they all work great, but my favorite is still the Rice-A-Roni spanish rice.
|Look at that yummy deliciousness!|
|One more pic for good measure :)|
Quick and Easy Mock Jambalaya
1 package smoked sausage, sliced
1 small onion, diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 TBS minced garlic
2 TBS butter
1 box Rice-A-Roni spanish rice (or anything else you have like jambalaya mix or dirty rice)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups water
2 TBS Old Bay Seasoning (or creole seasoning)
Hot Sauce (we add this to each individual bowl since some don't like and others do)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over high heat
- Add onion, bell pepper, and rice (not the seasoning) and saute for about 5 minutes (just to soften veggies and brown vermicelli)
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute
- Mix in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is done
- Stir and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes to cool and thicken a bit
I told you it was super easy! This is definitely a great recipe to get you by in a pinch. We never have any leftovers so if you have big eaters you may want to double this recipe.
Below is the nutritional value per serving. This recipe yields approximately 4 servings.