Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chicken a la King

Chicken a la King holds some great memories for me.  It brings me back to my childhood when I lived with my grandma and she would make it.  It is so creamy and comforting.  No matter how hard I try I can not replicate the way she made it.  I don't know if it's because I am missing something or if it is the direct memory of her cooking this dish up.

Now don't get me wrong this is still very good and comforting.  It is a close second to hers ;)  I have accepted the fact that I will probably never make it the way she did.  There are many recipes I can duplicate of hers, but this one I just can't.

Even though it is slightly different it still brings back great memories and takes me right back to her house.  The smell, the feel, the sounds...everything.  That's one reason why I love cooking so much.  I hope one day my kids will be able to make a dish that brings all the love and memories back to them no matter where they are.


Chicken a la King
1 lb chicken, cooked and diced
1/2 container Fresh Mushrooms, sliced and diced
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 TBS Dry Sherry
1-1/2 cups Half and Half, Evaporated Milk, or Milk (I used the rest of the half and half that I had, but normally use evaporated milk because it makes it richer)
1-1/2 cups Chicken Broth
4 oz Pimentos, drained
1/2 cup Frozen Peas
  • Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat
  • Add green pepper and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes
  • Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder whisk together and cook for about 1 minute to make a roux and cook the flour a bit
  • In a large measuring cup combine milk, broth, and sherry
  • Slowly add to roux while stirring constantly
  • Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 1 minute while stirring constantly
  • Stir in chicken, pimento, and peas; cook until heated through
You can easily freeze the chicken mixture for later use.  Just defrost overnight and reheat in a saucepan.  Serve over noodles, mashed potatoes, or hot toast points.  I personally like to mix mine with hot buttered noodles and serve.  The leftovers are great for a satisfying lunch too.  


5 comments:

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!