Friday, March 9, 2012

Freezer Mashed Potatoes

Remember that 20 lb bag of potatoes I bought a couple of weeks ago?  I have been kicking around ideas of what to do with them and I decided to mash some and freeze them.  I used about 5 lbs (that is really a lot for us!) to mash and then I froze them in two different ways to see which way I like better.

Anyway lets get cooking and see what I decided to do :)



Freezer Mashed Potatoes
5 lbs Potatoes, peeled and diced
1-1/2 TBS Garlic, minced (I used the jarred stuff)
2 TBS Butter
1 Cup Sour Cream
6 oz Cream Cheese
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper

  • Boil potatoes with garlic for about 20-30 minutes or until fork tender
  • Drain and add to a large mixing bowl with butter, mash together
  • Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine
  • Cool and then freeze
I froze mine two different ways.  Below explains each way:
  • Place potatoes on a cookie sheet using an ice cream scoop (I did two scoops each)
  • Then place potatoes in the freezer for about 1-2 hours
  • Once frozen place scoops in a large freezer bag or small individual freezer bags
  • The second way, I filled a freezer container leaving 1 inch at the top and placed in the freezer


To reheat them place them in a covered bowl in the microwave and heat for 5 minutes at 50% power.  Adjust time as needed based on your microwave.  Once hot stir them really well.  If they are too watery stir in 1-2 TBS of sour cream or cream cheese per 2 cups of potatoes.  VIOLA!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!