Friday, March 9, 2012

Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes

I was browsing one of my favorite places and saw this spectacular post on twice baked potatoes and knew I had to make them with some of my huge bag of potatoes that I bought.  Seriously 20 lbs for $3 I couldn't pass that up!  I strongly urge you guys to check out Tip Garden because there are tons of great, useful recipes and tips there!

I only made one slight change and that is because I wanted to use up what I had left over from my batch of mashed potatoes

Yes, I am a very messy cook!  :)


Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
7 - Medium to Large Potatoes
2 oz Cream Cheese plus enough sour cream to equal 1 cup
1/2 Stick Butter
1-1/2 Cups Shredded Colby Jack, plus some for topping potatoes
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 cup Bacon Bits
1/4 cup Green Onions

  • Wash potatoes, dry, and then poke holes with a fork around the potato
  • Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 60-90 minutes or until tender (a fork should be able to easily pierce the thickest part of the potato without resistance)
  • Once cooled enough to handle cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp into a large mixing bowl (I used a soup spoon and it was the perfect size) Be careful not to break or rip the skin
  • Place skins back on the baking tray 
  • Combine all the ingredients with the potato pulp and mix with a hand mixer until fully combined
  • Hold the potato skin in one hand and use a tablespoon to add the filling
  • Top with additional cheese and lightly press into the filling
  • Place cookie sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours or until fully frozen
  • Once frozen wrap each potato with aluminum foil and place in a large Ziploc bag

Wrapped and ready to go!

Place in a freezer bag, label, and put in the freezer

To reheat place potatoes on a cookie sheet and loosely cover with aluminum foil.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes until hot.  Just keep an eye on them.  My oven cooks really fast so I reduce the first cook time to 30 minutes.  You could also reheat in a microwave, but the skins will not be crispy.  Enjoy!  And don't forget to visit Tip Garden for some great tips like this one!


Linked to:

6 comments:

  1. Hey, LOVE your taters! Jan from Tip Garden here, I just stopped over to catch up on one of MY favorite blogs and guess what? You posted this on my birthday! Your's look umm. amazing. Thanks for the link back! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks so much! I hope you had a very happy birthday! You have amazing ideas, tips, and recipes and I love to pass that info on to others. I know many of my readers would find your site incredibly useful :)

      Delete
  2. Those sound devine! We're big potatoe fans around here and will defintiely be giving this a try soon! Thanks linking up to pinned it, made it :)

    Jennifer
    findingmywayintexas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love them! They are so easy to either pop in the microwave or toss in the oven. I hope you guys enjoy them :)

      Delete
  3. I love that you make ahead and freeze for another day...makes life easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does! These are so easy to just heat up for a nice dinner side or even lunch on a lazy day :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!