Friday, March 23, 2012

Italian Sausage Sandwiches

Now I have made Italian Sausage Sandwiches many, many times in the past.  However, I came across this recipe for Zesty Italian Sausage Sandwiches at The Cheerful Madhouse and decided to combine my recipe with hers.  Definitely check out her blog!  She has tons of great recipes on there that are just wonderful!  The zesty part is what reeled me ;)

Now this is a simple meal, but it is filling and delicious!  Not to mention another great way to use your crock pot.  My bad boy is getting lots of use lately :)

Now the genius part to this recipe is the spices.  They blend so well and bring so much flavor!  I just love the addition and think I will make it this way from now!


Italian Sausage Sandwiches
4 - Italian Sausage Links
2 - Green Peppers, sliced into strips
1 - Large Sweet Onion, sliced into strips
1 - Jar of Spaghetti Sauce or 3 cups Homemade Sauce (I think 1-2 cups would be fine, we had lots of extra sauce, but obviously we don't like ours really saucy)
Here comes the genius part!
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Seasoning Salt
1/4 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Cumin
4 - Hoagie Buns
Cheese for topping (we used leftover shredded mozzarella and some provolone slices)

  • Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and brown sausage on all sides
  • Then add green pepper, onion, and seasonings and cook until veggies are tender
  • Put the sausage mixture into your crock pot and combine spaghetti sauce
  • Cook on low for about 2 hours
That's it!  Now I always make mine in the crock pot, but you could just simmer on your stove for about 30 minutes if you want.  When everything is done build your sandwiches and don't forget the cheese!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!