Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chicken Shawarma

Chicken Shawarma is a middle eastern dish served in a pita and is very similar to a gyro.  I have never made this at home, but have had them from restaurants.  I found this great recipe for Chicken Shawarma's over at Budget Bytes and thought I would give it a try.  I love pita bread with seasoned meat, creamy sauce, and cool veggies so I knew it would be good :)



Chicken Shawarma
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into strips
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1 heaping TBS Garlic, minced (I LOVE garlic!)
1 TBS Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves

  • Mix all ingredients for the marinade together and then place in a Ziploc bag with the chicken and marinate for at least 8 hours (overnight is best)
1 cup Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Dried Dill
1/4 tsp Salt
  • Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and place in the refrigerator while meat is marinating to blend flavors
Once the chicken is done marinating cook chicken until done and no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.  A grill pan would be best, but I don't have one so I used my skillet.  Just a note if you do use a skillet it will look really ugly because of the yogurt marinade, but it will still taste great.  I just drained and lightly rinsed the chicken after it was cooked and then placed it back in the pan to keep warm.

To serve spread yogurt sauce on warmed pita.  Then place chicken on top. And lastly add some tomato, cucumber, and lettuce then enjoy!  It may be odd, but I had some leftover Greek Salsa from last night and I used that too!  Super good, fast, and perfect for a warm day like today.  I can't believe it was 84 today!  How crazy I feel like I am in Florida again ;)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really good and I easy1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I wish I had a grill or a george foreman because I am sure it would be better grilled :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!