Saturday, November 12, 2011

Ham and Bean Soup

Well it is that time of year when there is a little chill in the air and nothing is better during these cool nights than some good warm comfort food. Soup is always a great warm comfort food and it is incredibly affordable. You can always tweak soup to your liking which is another plus!

While I was building my stockpile I bought a whole ham at $2.99/lb because I got a free 12 lb turkey. I already roasted the turkey (it wouldn't fit in my freezer) and we had turkey with all the fixings and I also made turkey carcass soup. Anyway, I divided the ham and decided to make ham and bean soup this weekend.


Ham and Bean Soup
1 lb diced ham $2.99
1 cup diced onion $0.50
1 package dry navy beans (soaked overnight) $1.39
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
2 TBS butter
1 TBS minced garlic (I'll add $0.50 for butter and seasonings)
  1. In a large stock pot saute garlic and onion in butter until onions are translucent.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients plus water to cover and bring to a boil.
  3. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until beans are tender. Add more water if too thick for your liking.
  4. Use a potato masher or the soup ladle to gently mash some of the beans to your desired consistency.
  5. Remove bay leaf and enjoy. Serve with crusty bread, crackers, or any other desired topping.
Total Cost: $5.38 or 68 cents per serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!