While I was building my stockpile I bought a whole ham at $2.99/lb because I got a free 12 lb turkey. I already roasted the turkey (it wouldn't fit in my freezer) and we had turkey with all the fixings and I also made turkey carcass soup. Anyway, I divided the ham and decided to make ham and bean soup this weekend.
Ham and Bean Soup
1 lb diced ham $2.99
1 cup diced onion $0.50
1 package dry navy beans (soaked overnight) $1.39
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
2 TBS butter
1 TBS minced garlic (I'll add $0.50 for butter and seasonings)
- In a large stock pot saute garlic and onion in butter until onions are translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients plus water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until beans are tender. Add more water if too thick for your liking.
- Use a potato masher or the soup ladle to gently mash some of the beans to your desired consistency.
- Remove bay leaf and enjoy. Serve with crusty bread, crackers, or any other desired topping.