Saturday, November 12, 2011

Turkey Broth

I love this time of year!  I love all the warm comfort foods and the chilly nights.  I am especially grateful to be back north where I actually can wear sweaters, watch the leaves change, and fill the house with the warmth of good home cooked comfort food.  Last week I got a free turkey and since we are living in a small apartment I did not have any room to store the turkey so I roasted it and made stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, and glazed baby carrots.




After dinner was done and cleaned up I made turkey broth from the carcass so I could make turkey noodle soup for the next night.  Turkey broth is super easy to make and it freezes well so you can have some for use throughout the winter season.  Here is how to get more out of your turkey.

Turkey Broth

Turkey Carcass (broken into pieces so it will fit in the pot)
3 sprigs of parsley or 2 tsps of dried parsley
2 medium onions quartered
3 ribs of celery cut into large chunks (about 1 inch pieces)
2 medium carrots quartered and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 bay leaf
2 tsp dried thyme leaves
you can add salt and pepper to taste, but I leave it out and add it to my recipes
  1. Place all ingredients in a large stock pot or dutch oven and add enough cold water to cover (about 12 cups-16 cups, also if you have any pan juices add them too for a richer broth)
  2. Bring to a simmer over medium low heat.  Reduce heat to low and partially cover with a lid simmer for 3-4 hours.
  3. Cool slightly and strain broth a mesh strainer or strainer lined with a cheese cloth is best.
  4. Refrigerate and remove fat from top of broth.
I then divide what I need for the soup (about 6 cups) and then freeze the rest in 1 cup containers.  I ended up with about 12 cups total.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!