Monday, January 9, 2012

DIY Laundry Soap ***UPDATE***

After using my homemade laundry soap (Recipe found HERE) for the second week I have to say I am still incredibly pleased.  This week I added about 20 drops of Lavender Essential Oil to my little tub (about 30 oz) of laundry detergent.  I may add a little more oil to get a stronger scent.  Everything came out clean except for a white microfiber cloth for my Shark Steam Mop (which I fully expected it wouldn't).  The only spots that did not get clean were where the velcro lines were.  Again I did not pre-treat anything.  I will bleach the steam mop pad next week when I do laundry to take the faint lines out.  If anyone owns a steam mop they know these pads can be tough to clean sometimes.  I wish I took a before picture so you could see how gross it was at first because then you could see how great this detergent really is working. 


I also wanted to make a special note that the homemade detergent was able to take out stains that our store bought detergent could not.  I thought a pair of my son's jeans were going to be just "play" jeans because there was red dye on them and our detergent did not take it out at all.  We put them in with the homemade stuff and VIOLA! no more red dye!  It took all of it out and left them as good as new! 

My experience with the laundry soap has me excited to move on and try more homemade cleaners.  I am finishing up my dishwasher detergent and then I plan to make homemade dishwasher detergent.  I am excited and can't wait to see how it works in comparison to the cascade packets I have been using.  Hopefully, next week I will be able to start making and using the new detergent.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder how it would work in an He machine? Mine is one and it uses low water...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything I have read says these are safe for HE machines because they are not "sudsy". I do not have an HE machine so I can attest to it, but from my understanding the main problem with regular detergants are that they produce too many "suds".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using a liquid version of this for over a year with my HE machine and have had no problems. It took me a while to get used to the no suds. I'm so used to tons of water and bubbles means clean...but it really doesn't, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right the bubbles are added by the companies to make you believe they are cleaning, but they are completely unnecessary :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!