Monday, January 16, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning

One thing I am tired of is the high sodium content in many products.  I decided that I would start making many of my own seasoning packets.  My homemade taco seasoning was inspired by a recipe which can be found HERE.  I made a few minor changes to suit my tastes and needs.  Mainly I wanted to cut the salt down and I didn't have garlic powder so I used garlic salt.  Pretty easy to make and I had everything on hand so it is much cheaper than spending 79 cents or more on one seasoning packet.



Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 TBS Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Paprika
1-1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Flour or 1 TBS Cornstarch (I used cornstarch)

Just combine everything together and store in an airtight container.  I use 2-3 TBS of taco seasoning per pound of meat and add a 2/3 cup of water.  The nice thing about making your own is that you can adjust the seasoning to your liking.  You can add more red pepper or cumin for more of a kick or do like I do and cut the salt down.  Or you can use more or less seasoning mix.  It is completely up to you. 


Looks, smells, and tastes like the package stuff, but lower on sodium and no MSG!   Not to mention it saves much more money than buying packets. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erika, thanks for this homemade taco seasoning, I hate getting all the junk in mixes, and we always have all the spices in the cupboard. Besides it saves a bunch. New fan for you from the Get Connected Tuesday!! Hope you can stop by too!
    I have 2 blogs Oh! My Heartsie
    and
    Live Laugh Love To Shop
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to cut out all packaged ingredients and I suprised how easy this one was. Plus you gotta love how easy it is on the pocket book! Thanks for stopping by and I will check out both of your blogs :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!