Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mongolian Beef

I am sure everyone is noticing my "Chinese" food theme lately, but really we LOVE it!  Tonight I made Mongolian Beef inspired by the recipe found HERE.  All I have to say for this is YUM!  This recipe is so gooooood!  Both kids even had seconds...YAY!  My hubby, who dislikes spicy food, said it was good.  He didn't like the little kick of the red pepper flakes so next time I will cut that down a little more.

I changed up the recipe slightly and next time I will make sure I have some fresh sweet onion to add instead of the minced.  We served this over hot steamed rice, but a side of broccoli, carrots, or fresh string beans would be good too.  The great thing about this recipe other than the "dump, mix, cook" method (which I LOVE) is that it only takes 3-4 to cook.  Sometimes I forget to make my crock pot meal early and then I have to find something else to make or make it on the stove...I hate when that happens.  So this is a nice one because I started it at 3:30 and we ate at 7...not bad for a crock pot meal ;)

Don't be scared of all the ingredients...it really is super simple!



Mongolian Beef
1-1/2 lbs Flank Steak, sliced thin
2 tsp Minced Garlic or 3 Cloves minced
4 Sliced Green Onions
1 tsp Minced Onion or 1/2 Sweet Onion sliced thin
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup White Wine
1/4 Cup Cooking Sherry
1/2 TBS White Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Molasses
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes ***more if you like spice or less if you're like my husband ;)
1/2 TBS Peanut Butter
3 TBS Brown Sugar
About 1/4 Cornstarch
  1. Combine meat and cornstarch in a Ziploc bag.  Shake around to coat meat thoroughly
  2. Mix all the other ingredients into the crock pot except for meat and cornstarch mixture. 
  3. Once the sauce is combined add meat and mix to coat the meat.
  4. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the meat is done and tender to your liking.
Serve over warm steamed rice and ENJOY!  Super good and easy to make :)

2 comments:

  1. Just in time for the Chinese New Year :) Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been cooking lots of Asian inspired dishes lately. Funny how it worked out to be right before Chinese New Year :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!