Thursday, January 12, 2012

Homemade Citrus Air Freshener

***** UPDATE 1/31/12 FOUND HERE *****

Today I decided to make homemade citrus air freshener.  It was really simple to make and you can customize the scent to your liking.  I decided to make a citrus scent with lemon and orange essential oil.  I have found so many tips and tricks while browsing for a good room spray.  I really can't wait to try them out and let you know how they work.

I chose citrus smells because they rejuvenate and give you a little pick me up.  You can use any scent you want and make it as strong or mild as like.  Just remember to start with less oil maybe only 5-10 drops and then add more as you go to get the desired smell you want.  Mix any combination of smells you like.  The possibilities are endless!  The best part is this is incredibly cheap compared to the stuff you buy at the store and you know exactly what is in it!

Sorry about the poor lighting :(
Homemade Citrus Air Freshener
1/2 Cup Water
1/4 Rubbing Alcohol (can use Vodka as well)
5-10 Drops Each of Orange and Lemon Essential Oil
1 Empty Mist Bottle

 ****NOTE****  If reusing an old bottle make sure it is thoroughly cleaned!  I highly recommend buying a new bottle for all homemade cleaners or products to be sure there are no mixing of certain chemicals.  You can buy new bottles really cheap from any WalMart or Target.
  1. Using a funnel pour all ingredients into clean and empty bottle. 
  2. Shake vigorously and you are ready to go.
  3. Adjust scent as needed
I had everything on hand which means I didn't have to buy anything, but the cost of this can't be too much even if you have to buy the oils and the rubbing alcohol.  I bought the essential oils a month ago from vitacost with a $10 credit for new customers.  I don't think they are still running that promotion, but if you refer a friend you will $10 and so will your friend.  Then all you pay is shipping. 

If you bought rubbing alcohol for $2 the cost to make this would be 25 cents, plus the cost of the oil used.  That will vary depending on how much you use and what you use.  I used about 20 drops total so the cost would be 37 cents.  I used the current prices for the two oils I used on vitacost converted each drop to ml and then to ounces to figure out the ratio.  So the total cost to make this would be 62 cents! 

I really like this because it is subtle and refreshing.  When I get another spray bottle I am going to make one with lavender and tea tree oil.  I almost want to head out to WalMart in the snow just to get one, but I will restrain myself for now.  If you have any good ideas for combinations leave a comment I would love to hear your ideas!


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm in the process of replacing chemically-laden products throughout the house. Thanks for sharing this "recipe".

    Cheers,
    Marie

    A new fan visiting from Totally Tasty Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been working on that as well. Once you get started it is very easy :) Good luck! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!