Monday, January 23, 2012

Super Easy Pasta Sauce


One thing I have been doing for a while is making my own pasta sauce.  I can even bet that after you see how easy it is to make your own sauce you will no longer buy that nasty jar stuff any more.  I have been playing around with my recipe for over a year and have found the perfect sauce for our taste.  If you like it spicier add more red pepper flakes or sweeter add a tad more sugar.  You can add different spices or herbs that suit your tastes too.

This really is the perfect base recipe which is nice thick and flavorful.  You can make it in the crock pot if you prefer.  Just cook on low for about 8 hours, but make sure you keep an eye on it.  If too much liquid leaves then it will burn so you will need to add water to make sure that doesn't happen.  Just add about 1/4-1/2 cup of water at a time if seems to be drying out.

I prefer to simmer it on the stove for a few hours.  In fact that's what I am doing tonight :)  This batch should last me through the month and it costs next to nothing!  Once my sauce is done simmering I will put it in the fridge to cool overnight and then freeze in batches.  My hubby and daughter can't wait until my next dish with pasta sauce so I will boil up some sea shell pasta left over from Italian Wedding Soup for their lunches tomorrow.



Super Easy Pasta Sauce
2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes (I used Tuttorosso with basil)
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1 medium onion diced
1 tbs garlic or 4 cloves (more or less to suit your taste...we LOVE garlic!)
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (you can use red wine vinegar + 1 tsp honey)
1 TBS brown sugar
1 TBS oregano
1 TBS basil (I didn't add this time because my tomatoes had basil in them)
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
  1. Heat about 1 TBS of olive oil over medium-high heat and then add onions 
  2. Saute about 3-5 minutes or until translucent and then add garlic and cook for 1 minute just until it becomes fragrant you DON'T want it to brown
  3. Then add the rest of the ingredients and turn heat down to medium-low cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, but I simmer mine for about 2-4 hours

I like to simmer it longer because it seems the flavors are more deep and robust when I do.  By all means it is ready to eat by this time and is still really good.  After it has been simmering for a few hours I will let it cool a bit and then place it in the fridge overnight.  Tomorrow I will put it in separate containers and freeze for use over the next month or so.  You can bet my lasagna will be super yummy with this sauce!

Don't forget to find My Road to Savings on facebooktwitter, and now Google+


Thrifty Texas Penny

8 comments:

  1. ooh, that really does look good!
    i like your spending tracker too!!
    stacey
    www.gettingthroughtheday.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My spending is a little over right now, but it will even out soon :)

      Delete
  2. I have been searching for a new pasta sauce for some time now. I can't wait to try yours. It sounds heavenly! I would love if you would drop by and link up to my Super Eats and Treats Party!
    http://www.thefreshmancook.blogspot.com/2012/01/super-bowl-eats-treats-blog-party.html

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some cooked lasagna noodles in the freezer and was going to make some sauce really soon. I think I will try yours. Glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up having lasagna tonight and used the sauce. I just threw in some ground beef, fresh garlic, fresh basil, and fresh parsley. Simply delicious!

      Delete
  4. This sauce looks amazing! Very similar to a recipe that I use. Love making my own sauce. Thanks for sharing.

    www.bluejeansNcoffeebeans.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making my own sauce too. It's so easy and you can tweak it to whatever flavor you are mood in for. Not to mention it is soooooo much better than the jarred stuff!

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!