Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cashew Chicken

I am finally feeling a little bit better.  Maybe it is the Eucalyptus  and Tea Tree Oil I have been using to clear my stuffy nose.  Just a few drops in a tart burner and it really helps or 2-3 drops on a cotton ball does the trick too without the greasy effects of vapor rub.  Since I can breath again I feel a little more up to cooking so hopefully I am back on track :)

Enough of my sick talk...let's move onto the recipe!  Tonight I made Cashew Chicken with fried rice.  It was rather simple to make and didn't take much time at all.  While it was simmering I made the rice and everything finished at the same time.

This recipe was inspired by the one found HERE.





Cashew Chicken
2 lbs diced chicken breasts
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup cashews
1/4 cup hoison sauce
8 green onions, sliced
2 TBS white wine vinegar
2 TBS cornstarch
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 TBS olive oil

  • Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet
  • Add garlic and cashews and cook until garlic becomes golden, but not brown (about 3 minutes)
  • Season chicken with salt and pepper and then add to skillet
  • Cook until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes
  • Mix cornstarch and chicken broth in a small bowl until fully combined
  • Add mixture to skillet along with hoison sauce and vinegar
  • Simmer for about 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened
  • Just before serving add green onions and then serve over white rice or with a side of fried rice
This was good and didn't leave much for leftovers.  It seemed to be a hit, but if you haven't noticed my family loves oriental cuisine.  I thought it was good, but not as good as you would get in a restaurant.  Why is it that Chinese food never tastes the same as take out?  It's probably because I don't have wok and can't cook over extreme high heat like they do.  All in all this will definitely be made again, but I would cut the cornstarch by half or add more liquid.  Especially if you want some "juice" for your rice.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your feeling better ! WOW that looks DELISH ! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you...now the little guy is struggling with the sniffles so I think he is next :(

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!