Saturday, February 11, 2012

Frugal Fun



We went out today and just drove until we found something fun.  It was a tad chilly for a hike which is what we would normally do.  So we decided to see what else we could find.  We ended up in Fort Scott.  Everyone had a great time and the best part, it was free.  We toured all the buildings and learned about Kansas civil war history.  The kids were able to run around the grounds and see what life was like during that time.



The youngest, who is 3, was more interested than I thought he would be.  Look how he is studying what he sees.  I love it when they are so engaged!  He asked lots of questions which I love toe!



 The oldest loves to read and learn about history and time periods.  She was especially interested in the "bleeding Kansas" exhibit.  She didn't want to leave and wanted to go back and check things out some more, but it was getting late so I promised we would return at a later date.  Otherwise, I don't think we would ever get to leave!




Hubby took some great pictures and even I tested out the camera.  I love seeing all the historical building, artifacts, and learning about different time periods.  Even the tragic times.  I think it is so important that we never forget.  No matter how many different history shows, museums, or historical sites we visit we always come out with more information.



We toured the barracks, the jail, mess hall, hospital, kitchen, bakery, officer quarters, stables, artillery sheds, and so much more.  There were exhibits that showed how they built the quarters and how they functioned.  We also learned about the history of Fort Scott.  The trials and tribulations that went on during the civil war. So my suggestion to you is to explore the area because you never know what hidden gem you will find.  Not to mention the memories you make with your family along with the knowledge they gain.

Now to enjoy a movie with the family.  I hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!