Friday, February 3, 2012

Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Who isn't a fan of Olive Garden's soup, salad, and breadsticks?  I would probably eat there everyday if my husband would let me.  I LOVE all their soups so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it!  Chicken Gnocchi Soup looked pretty easy to prepare and I found my inspiration to make it from Copy Kat Recipes.  They are a great site to find all those recipes you know and love from your favorite places.

I made mine slightly different by adding more veggies and keeping it thick more like a stew because that's how I like it ;)



Chicken Gnocchi Soup
1 lb cooked and shredded chicken breasts (can use rotisserie chicken)
1 lb gnocchi, cooked (I found mine in the freezer isle by the tortellini, but they also have some by the pasta)
1 TBS olive oil
4 TBS butter
4 TBS flour
1 cup celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, finely diced
8 oz baby carrots shredded
1 package frozen spinach
1/2 tsp thyme
2 TBS fresh parsley
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 cups half and half
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
Ladle of pasta water

  • Saute onion, garlic, and celery in olive oil and butter until onion is translucent
  • Push veggies to one side of the pan and add flour and make a roux, then cook for about one minute
  • Add half and half and mix well
  • Then add carrots and chicken
  • Once thickened add chicken broth 
  • When it has thickened up a bit again add gnocchi, spinach, and seasoning then simmer until heated through


Mmmmmm....yummy!  Rather simple to make and delicious!  We will be having some super special sandwiches tomorrow to eat with our leftover soup and Gulyas from last night.  I am sure this would freeze well, but I guarantee we won't have anything leftover to freeze!

All the kids had seconds and seemed to really enjoy it.  That makes me very happy since there are so many veggies in there.  It's super creamy and good.  A great soup to enjoy on a rainy night like tonight.


Thrifty Texas Penny

7 comments:

  1. Oh this looks good,Thank you for sharing at Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for hosting Creative Mondays!

      Delete
  2. This looks great! New fan here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. goodness! when i read the title of your post i thought you had infused chicken into gnocchi! haha... lookin good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erika, I will be trying this recipe over the weekend. It sound so filling and delish! :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue that is wonderful! I would love to hear what you think of it after you make it :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!