Friday, February 24, 2012

Clean, Clean, Clean

I am sure by now you guys know I love to cook.  Unfortunately when it comes to cooking you always have to clean up.  My stove is one thing I have been disgusted by since I moved into this apartment.  It was not cleaned and maintained properly by any means.

Realistically they should have replaced the drip pans. I know I could replace them, but I figured I would try to clean them first before I go out spending my personal money.  I know they only cost about $20, but the fact it is in my lease that they were to be new I am a little irritated they won't take care of them.

Because they are so cheap and easily replaceable there really aren't many instructions to clean them.  So I decided boiling water with some baking soda should do the trick.  Let's take a look!

I purposely left my stove dirty all night so you could see how well the Homemade Surface Cleaner really works. :)


Another angle of the dirt and you can also see how dirty the drip pans are.  I have cleaned them once with dish soap without any luck.

By far the worst drip pan!


The other 2 look similar to this one so I won't post pics of all of them...you get the idea.  They are nasty!

Now onto the cleaning part.  Fill a pot with water, drop in the drip pans (I did 2 at a time), sprinkle about 1/4 cup baking soda in the water, and then bring to a boil.  I boiled them for about 15 minutes or so and then took them out one at time with tongs (they will be very hot so be careful!) and set them in the sink.  

When they were cool enough to handle I scrubbed them with a sponge that had an abrasive side.  A chore boy pad would probably work well, but I didn't have one so I am not sure if they would scratch or not.  Some needed a bit of elbow grease and I also sprayed some surface cleaner to help get rid of the ones with major grit and grime on them.


You can see there are still some spots, but WOW they turned out really well!  I am impressed because who knows how long that grime has been stuck on them.  

This is the really bad one.  You can see the color has changed which tells me they really need to replace this one, but the grime is all gone!  
Look at that shine!  I am seriously impressed and happy to have clean drip pans without spending any money :)

Look at how well the stove cleaned up from the surface cleaner.  Just spray and wipe down.  That easy!  I truly love that stuff and it is quickly becoming my favorite product.


Looks brand new!  I wish I took a picture of my teapot before I cleaned it with the surface cleaner.  Especially the bottom.  It looks brand new and I have had that thing for about 10 years now.  Seriously the best product I have made so far.  It is a life saver and works on just about everything!

Don't forget to find My Road to Savings on facebook, twitter, or Google+ to stay up to date with all the great tips, tricks, and recipes!


Linked to:


http://www.thethriftyhome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!