love taco's...well any kind of Mexican-American food. One thing I adore about this casserole is how easy it is to throw together and get on the table. I make the base and then serve all the toppings alongside so each person can have their favorite taco toppings.
The sweetness of the corn bread and the savory of the taco meat is fantastic! Definitely give this a try and I bet you will love it!
Cornbread Taco Casserole
8.5 oz box corn bread mix (Jiffy, store brand, homemade, or Bob's Red Mill all work) plus ingredients to make cornbread (usually 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small yellow onion
2 TBS taco seasoning (or 1 packet)
2/3 cup water
1 can drained black beans (or corn, refried beans, or you can omit)
1 cup reduced fat shredded mexican cheese
or anything else you love to top your tacos with :)
- Prepare corn bread as instructed on box
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish
- Bake corn bread in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes (keep at this time and temp no matter what the box says! You will bake longer once the beef and cheese is added)
- Meanwhile brown ground beef and onion in a skillet, drain
- Add taco seasoning and water and simmer until thickened
- Combine beans with meat and spread over top of corn bread
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over meat mixture and bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted
- Cut into squares and serve with favorite toppings
This is definitely a great dish to have any day of the week. It takes no time to make and it tastes great. The best part is there is no complaining because everyone gets to custom make their own slice of taco casserole. How awesome is that?!?
Nutritional value is based on 1 serving with no toppings. This recipe yields 9 servings.