I am so excited to share this recipe with you and I really hope you guys love it as much as I do!
Grandma Bev's Spanish Rice
1.5 cups low sodium beef broth
8 oz no salt tomato sauce
8 slices of reduced sodium bacon
1 medium spanish onion, diced
2 green peppers, seeded and diced
1 TBS minced garlic
1 lb ground beef
2 medium tomatoes, diced (you can use canned too if you wish, but drain them and use about 2-14 oz cans)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup brown rice
1 can corn, drained
- In a small saucepan combine tomato sauce and beef broth
- Simmer on medium-low while you prepare the rest
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Brown bacon and drain on paper towels
- Drain bacon fat reserving about 2 TBS
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion and green pepper, and saute for about 5 minutes or until soft
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Remove veggies and set aside
- Brown seasoned ground beef (salt and pepper) in the skillet and drain
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat, add rice to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes (or until the rice gives off a nutty aroma) stirring constantly
- Pour in boiling tomato sauce mixture along with everything else except corn
- Reduce heat low, cover, and simmer for about 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender (if you use instant rice this would go a lot quicker!)
- Check occasionally to make sure there is enough liquid (if needed add more beef broth or tomato sauce 1/2 cup at a time)
- Add corn, remove from heat, and enjoy!
This dish does require a tad more work, but it is so worth it! Give it a try and I bet you'll love it!
The nutritional information is per serving. This recipe yields approximately 6 servings.